Tuesday, 19 July 2011

Recipes - Maltese Spaghetti

This recipe is the reason most of my friends keep me around.  It's probably not traditional but is my interpretation of the recipe my grandmother makes and is a good representation of Maltese Cuisine. The ingredients may seem a bit odd, but trust me, I have not met one person who has not enjoyed this.


Ingredients
600g middle bacon, diced
1/2 head garlic, about 8-12 cloves, roughly chopped
2 x 400g tins tomatoes
4 heaped tbs tomato paste
1tbs sugar

Step 1 - Heat oil in a large frying pan.  You need lots of olive oil, enough to cover the base of the pan in a thin layer.  Fry garlic and bacon until they are cooked and slightly coloured, but do not allow the garlic to burn.
Step 2 - Add tomato paste and sugar and fry off for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning.
Step 3 - Add tin tomatoes and 1 cup water, reduce heat and simmer slowly for 2-4 hours.
Step 4 - Serve with spaghetti and freshly grated parmesan.

Notes:

The long, slow cooking of this dish is essential. 

No comments:

Post a Comment