Thursday, 28 July 2011

Recipes - Hobz biz-zejt

Hobz biz-zejt literally translates to Bread with Oil.  It is a traditional Maltese lunch, similar to the ploughman's lunch that originated in the UK and is more construction than cooking.  The mere thought of this dish sends me back to my ten year old self, sitting in my grandmothers kitchen with my sister and my cousins, fighting over the best tomatoes (straight from the vine) and the best cuts of bread (fresh from the oven).  Top quality ingredients are essential for this dish.

Ingredients
olive oil
sourdough bread
ripe tomatoes. halved
tomato paste
tuna
salt and pepper, to season

Optional
anchovies
olives
capers/caperberries 

Step 1 - Place tuna, tomatos, tomato paste and optional ingredients on a plate.  Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Step 2 - Rip off pieces of bread, dip in oil, rub with tomato then use to scoop other ingredients.  Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment