Friday, 12 August 2011

I don't remember a time I didn't cook

age 11...


I was at home by myself one day and very very bored. So I did what any bored 11 year old does, I baked a cake.  

My mum always bakes and cooks so I had an amazing pantry of ingredients at my disposal.  I took out one of my Mum's recipe books and chose the most impressive looking cake - a two tier chocolate sponge cake with chocolate ganache icing.   


It was the first time I'd made a sponge and I didn't know that sponges have a habit of collapsing if not cooked just right, which was probably a good thing cause I followed the instructions to the letter and was rewarded with two tall, beautiful, light sponge cakes.  I cut the rounded tops off each and sandwiched them together with strawberry jam and chantilly cream. 


To ice the cake I made the chocolate ganache and spread it across the top and down the sides in as smooth and even a layer as I was able. I even piped a whole lot of (mostly) evenly sized rosettes around the edge, how very 1990's!  When I was done I popped the cake into the fridge and sat down to eat a few pieces of off-cuts with the leftover ganache. 


Mum came home that afternoon and I proudly told her about the amazing cake I made that day.  She saw the container of off-cuts on the bench and said 'yum, your cake looks nice.'  I told her she needed to open the fridge and when she did so, she was rendered speechless.  She still talks about that cake.  Maybe I should make it for her again. 

1 comment: