Wednesday, 10 August 2011

Recipes - Prosciutto and Pea on Angel Hair Pasta

I created this recipe at a time in my life when money was very very tight.  One fateful day I had people coming for dinner and all I could find in my pantry was angel hair pasta, frozen peas and two lemons.  I had $8 and decided to blow all my cash on sundried tomatoes, cream and prosciutto.  I also stopped by my Mums place and picked up some garlic and some parsley.  Dinner was delicious and my guests proclaimed that I needn't have gone to such great trouble and expense.


While there is cream in the sauce it is there to bring the sauce together and coat the pasta but it is not a heavy cream sauce.


Ingredients
6 thin slices prosciutto, diced
2/3 cup peas
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes
1 lemon, zested
1 clove garlic, crushed
2/3 cup cream
250g angel hair pasta
pepper, to season
gremolata, to serve




Step 1 - Put a large pot of water onto boil. When boiling, add pasta and cook to packet specifications. 
Step 2 - Heat a good whack of olive oil in a frying pan.  Add garlic and prosciutto and fry until prosciutto is crispy.
Step 3 - Pour in cream and simmer until thick and reduced, about 1-2 minutes
Step 4 - Add peas, sundried tomato and lemon zest.  When peas are tender, remove from heat and season with pepper.
Step 5 - Toss cooked pasta through sauce and serve immediately sprinkled with gremolata


Notes:


Have all your ingredients ready and ensure your pan is hot before making the sauce as it should only take 3-4 minutes to cook.  If you prep your ingredients while the pasta water is coming to the boil the sauce can be made in the time the pasta cooks and you'll have an amazing meal from start to serve in ten minutes.  






   

No comments:

Post a Comment