Tuesday, 20 September 2011

Passage Foods

I love cooking and creating and inventing, which is pretty obvious when you have a look at this blog.  As much as I find cooking to be very relaxing and a great way to unwind at the end of a long day, sometimes I just want a quick, easy, delicious, no fuss dinner.  And when I think quick, easy, delicious and no fuss, I think Passage Foods.



I first discovered Passage Foods in 2009 when I saw their Passage to India range on special in my local supermarket.  As a rule, I don't buy Indian simmer sauces for two reasons; 1. I love Indian food and all supermarket brands (except Passage Foods) taste horrible, and 2. I worked in an Indian Restaurant for a number of years, eating my fill of fresh, amazing, authentic Indian night after night and all supermarket brands (except Passage Foods) taste horrible.  However, the sauce was in a funky pouch, as opposed to a jar, and I thought 'What do I have to lose?'

That night when I ripped open the pouch, the smell that hit me sent me right back to the Indian restaurant's kitchen and the colour of the sauce was perfect, deep and rich with a lovely oily sheen on top.  More importantly, the taste was spot on - better than what you get in a lot of Indian Restaurants.  I was instantly hooked and within a month has tried everything they have on offer.

It's not all just Indian, Passage Foods also offers Chinese, Moroccan, Thai, Malaysian and Italian simmer sauces.  The sauces can be made as per the packet instructions or 'pimped' for something a bit more special.  When cooking for the kids, I go completely against tradition and just try to pack as many vegetables in there as possible.

So, here are my top three Passage Foods sauces and don't forget to check out their website and facebook page
  1. Passage to India - Korma w lamb and cashews on saffron and clove scented basmati rice w mint yoghurt and vegetable sambal.
  2. Passage to China - Honey, Soy & Garlic w Chicken, brocoli, onion, capsicum, carrot, snow peas and bok choy on hokkein noodles sprinkled with lightly toasted sesame seeds.
  3. Passage to Morocco - Spiced Lemon Chicken w Chicken, pumpkin and green olives on coriander and preserved lemon (or lemon zest) couscous sprinkled with lighty toasted slivered almonds.  




1 comment:

  1. These are my Dad's recipes, I work in the company & it's so great when I look at the picture above and you eat eat it the same way i ate it growing up... The curry Yoghurt & indian salad;-) Well Done!

    ReplyDelete