Monday, 17 October 2011

Recipes - Banana Caramel Muffins

When I first started making muffins (religiously) 18 months ago, this was my first creation.  I was in the later stages of my pregnancy and was craving bananas, which is strange cause I don't really like bananas.  I decided my bananas needed some caramel...and that I should put them in a muffin...and that I shouldn't mix the caramel through so it'd be all gooey and oozy.  Yeah, this was a good idea!  



Ingredients
1 quantity sweet muffin mix
3 bananas, mashed
250g (approx) caramel top 'n' fill

Following the sweet muffin mix recipe;





Step 3 - Add banana with wet ingredients.
Step 4 - 1/2 full muffin holes with banana muffin mix, top with a heaped teaspoon of caramel and then top with a little more muffin mix, just enough to cover the caramel.  Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Step 5 - Cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning out.  Cool upside down on wire rack.

Notes:

As the caramel is heavier than the batter, it will sink to the bottom as the muffins cook.  For this reason it is important to work quickly when filling the holes to prevent the caramel completely sinking to the bottom prior to cooking.  This is also the reason the muffins must be cooled upside down, otherwise the caramel can ooze out the bottom. Alternatively, these can be made in patty cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment