Wednesday, 16 November 2011

In someone else's kitchen

I have a lot of foodie friends and I love being invited into their home for a meal.  It's always nice when someone else is cooking and it's great to see what my friends are doing with food and get some new ideas!  

Last Saturday I was invited for dinner by one of my very best friends and his partner.  My friend was very hush hush about what he was cooking, but asked me to bring along something for dessert.




So being the good friend that I am, I arrived with this basket full of Merlot, cheese, bread and fruit.  I was planning on making meringue nests filled with mascarpone cream and heaped with fresh berries for our dessert, however, my two attempts at making them that day were complete fails (which shocked me as much as my friend) so this was my quick fix and a chance to kill two birds with one stone.  The basket of goodies was a gift to the host as well as dessert!


Our appetizer was this delicious bruschetta!  Many people think that bruschetta relates to the common topping of tomato, basil, onion and olive oil.  However, bruschetta is actually toasted bread rubbed with garlic and served with olive oil.  This bruschetta was topped with creamy goats cheese and caramelised French shallots.  The bread had been warmed in the oven, making it crunchy on the outside but still soft on the inside and rubbed with garlic as it was taken out.  A drizzle of balsamic and oil at the end and this is one ridiculously yummy appetizer!  I'd go as far as saying it was one of the best bruschettas I have ever had.  This recipe = stolen!  






Our main was a tasty dish my friend created in one of those 'let's see what happens when I throw these things together' moments.  All his prep was done before I arrived, so as we stood in the kitchen chatting he was very quickly able to throw this all together.   He started by frying some chorizo in a little olive oil.  When the chorizo was well fried, he threw in some onion, garlic, finely sliced red chilli and about a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard.  This was cooked until the onion and garlic was soft and just starting to colour.  Next to go in the pan was a handful of pitted kalamata olives and about half a punnet of quartered grape tomatoes.  A drizzle of balsamic vinegar and the heat was reduced to low to allow the 'sauce' to come together.  This method is pretty clever as the tomatoes slowly break down and combined with the balsamic will create a 'sauce' that pulls all of the ingredients together.  


Right at the end, some green prawns, that had been peeled, deveined and butterflied, were thrown into the pan along with some more cherry tomatoes.  Everything was tossed together until the prawns were just cooked (about a minute).  Just before serving, my friend tossed some cooked pasta and fresh parsley through it and distributed it among the serving dishes.


This was a gorgeous dinner with great company, good wine and delicious food!  Our cheese, fruit and bread for dessert was the finishing touch on a good night.  


So, who's inviting me to dinner next?  

1 comment:

  1. Pleasure having you over... Thanks for the write up I feel like a celebrity! Definately have to organise another cook-up. Awesome Fun!

    ReplyDelete