Sunday, 11 December 2011

Recipes - Creme Brulee

Creme Brulee, which literally means 'burnt cream' in French, is a classic dessert that is coming back into fashion.  Traditionally, it is a vanilla flavoured set custard with a thin layer of hard toffee on top but can also be flavoured with chocolate, coffee, liqueur, lemon or orange.  I have not had many creme brulees in my time, so it was never something I really wanted to make.  But, when a friend posted on my facebook page asking me to make it, a lot of other people jumped on board the idea so I thought I would give it a crack.  For my first attempt I have held tradition and made a vanilla custard, however, I am very keen to try a coffee creme brulee in the future!



Ingredients
600mL thickened cream
6 egg yolks
1/3 cup + 2 tbs caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste

Step 1 - Preheat oven to 150°C.  Place a folded tea towel in the bottom of a baking dish and evenly space 6 x 3/4 cup capacity ramekins on top. Put a kettle full of water on to boil.
Step 2 - Place cream and vanilla in a small-medium saucepan and heat over low for 5-8 minutes or until cream just starts to simmer.  Do not boil.
Step 3 - In a large bowl, whisk yolks and 1/3 cup sugar until combined.  Pour cream into mixture in a slow and steady stream, whisking constantly.  Carefully skim any frothy bubbles from the top of the mixture and discard.  


Step 4 - Strain mixture through a fine sieve into a large jug then evenly distribute between ramekins.  Pour boiling water into dish until it has risen to 1/2 way up the ramekins.  Carefully place tray in oven and cook for 35-40 minutes, until custard has just set.
Step 5 - Remove ramekins from tray and set aside for 30 mins to cool, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
Step 6 - Turn grill onto high heat.  Sprinkle the 2 tbs sugar over custards, about 1 teaspoon on each.  Place under grill for 2-3 minutes, until sugar has melted, turned golden and is bubbling slightly.  Cool for 5 minutes at room temperature, then return to fridge for half an hour to harden toffee and reset custard. 





2 comments:

  1. Love cremee brulee - soooooo delish!!! I never put a tea towel in the baking dish, will have to try!

    I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award!

    You can nominate your favourite blogs too! Head to http://ms-jelena.blogspot.com/2011/12/liebster-blog-award.html for details :)

    I love reading your blog, it's full of interesting facts and amazing recipes, so just wanted to let you know :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ms Jelena, thank you so much for the nomination, I am flattered! And I am glad you enjoy reading my blog, I enjoy writing it!!

    My understanding behind the tea towel in the bottom of the baking dish is that it slows down the cooking process to produce a better texture as the custard cooks more slowly from the base as opposed to when placed directly onto the metal tray. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete